#70 - Verdi by Janell Cannon


Summary:  Verdi, a python hatchling, is bright yellow with bold stripes that zig-zag down his back. His mother tells him to, "grow up big and green - as green as the trees' leaves." But Verdi certainly doesn't want to do that. His jungle-green elders seem boring and lazy to Verdi, who loves launching himself from the treetops.



Verdi vows to jump, climb, and move so fast that he stays green forever. Finally, Verdi learns that even though he can't stop the aging process, green skin won't keep him from being a fun-loving, figure-eight-forming snake.

Suggested Activity:  Swallowed by a Boa Constrictor


Poem: Shel Silverstein  

Sung by: Johnny Cash

I’m being swallowed by a boa constrictor;
I’m being swallowed by a boa constrictor.
Oh no, he’s swallowed my toes.
Oh no, he’s swallowed my toes.
Oh gee, he is up to my knees.
Oh gee, he is up to my knees.
Oh fiddle; he swallowed my middle.
Oh fiddle; he swallowed my middle.
Oh heck, he is up to my neck.
Oh heck, he is up to my neck.
Oh dread; he swallowed my head!
Oh dread; he swallowed my…gulp!



Curriculum Area: Listening and Speaking (hears and discriminates the sounds of language, expresses self using words and expanded language)

Appropriate Age Group: 3 and up

0 comments: