#62 - The Very Lonely Firefly by Eric Carle


Summary: As the sun sets, a firefly is born: "It stretched its wings and flew off into the darkening sky." The very lonely firefly searches for creatures like himself. He flies through the night and finds a light bulb, candle, the shining eyes of an owl, and fireworks. Finally, he meets and joins a whole group of fireflies flashing in the sky. 

Suggested Activity:  Flashlight Game


(Tune: I'm a Little Teapot)


I'm a little firefly
Look at me!
I'm as happy as I can be.
See my light flicker and shine so bright
Now watch me fly into the night!



Have children stand in a circle with their hands behind their backs. Dim the lights. Provide two flashlights that are easily turned off and on. Have the group sing the above song. When they sing "see my light flicker" the children holding flashlights begin to turn them off and on and pair up at the center of the circle. They then give the flashlights to two different children. Continue to play until each child has had a turn.

Curriculum Area: Listening and Speaking (hears and discriminates the sounds of language, expresses self using words and expanded language)
 
Appropriate Age Group
: 3 and up

0 comments: